NOTICE: JOB POSTING #0779
POSITION: Registered Nurse (RN) 1 Part Time Temporary – Cowichan Wellness and Recovery Centre, Duncan
(Position is temporary)
SALARY: $35.53/Hour (as per the Collective Agreement)
HOURS AND DAYS OF WORK:
· Tuesday through Thursday
· Shift times will be 10:00 – 18:00 Hours (Tues-Wed) and 12:00 – 16:00 Hours (Thurs)
· Shifts are 7.5 (Tues-Wed) and 4 (Thurs) hours in length
· Days of rest shall be consecutive. Schedule may change with two weeks’ notice
· Probationary period is 3 months or 487.5 hours with mid and end point reviews.
The Registered Nurse (RN) supports Lookout’s Overdose Prevention Space, TiOAT Program at the Wellness and Recovery Centre in Duncan under the direction of the Program Manager. The Wellness and Recovery Centre guests may also be connected with addiction, health care and community services. The people we serve may have a variety of challenging and often overlapping problems including serious mental illness, substance abuse (including IV drug use), hygiene issues, treatment (medical, psychiatric and rehab), and increasingly HIV+/Aids. Harm Reduction Workers provide the necessary support including intake and orienting guests, and support for meeting the needs of clients, as well as education on harm reduction methods and distribution of harm reduction supplies. The LPN deals with the public, other service agencies and professionals involved in the support of the clients.
JOB DUTIES: (in brief)
· Provide medical assessments to clients of the TiOAT Program and the Wellness Recovery Program
· Responsible for medication management of clients of the TiOAT Program and the Wellness Recovery Program
· Prescribe medications as necessary through the TiOAT Program and the Wellness Recovery Program
· Work as a collaborative team, with Management, Coordinators and external agencies to provide harm reduction supplies, support and the information necessary to help participants access and use this facility
· Observe clients who are consuming drugs, assessing for and managing signs of overdose, and when necessary, administering drugs to counter an overdose, according to established protocols
· Provide crisis intervention and/or extraordinary services where appropriate.
· Provide education and guidance on safe injection practices, assess clients’ other health/socioeconomic needs and provide support and direction to services as appropriate.
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES:
· Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
· Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to clients in chronic addiction
· Knowledge of the principles and practices of a client centered recovery model in mental illness.
· Broad knowledge of crisis intervention and counseling skills.
· Broad knowledge of mental health illness and treatment.
· Broad knowledge of psychopharmacology (indication and side effects).
· Broad knowledge of substance abuse and addictions treatment.
· Broad knowledge of other facilities and community resources.
· Demonstrated ability to conduct psychiatric assessments.
· Demonstrated ability to provide treatment planning, counseling, crisis intervention, and case coordination.
· Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with clients, and other health care staff, both one-on-one and in groups.
· Demonstrated knowledge of the harm reduction model, Mental Health System and related agencies and Addiction Support organizations.
· Must have current OFA 1 First Aid Certificate and negative TB Test
· Must have 2 doses of COVID-19 Vaccines
· Naloxone Training an asset
· Crisis Intervention Skills Training an asset
· Demonstrated ability in dealing with a variety of situations and responsibilities requiring initiative, creativity and professional judgment.
· Ability to deal with clients with mental health and substance abuse issues
· Broad knowledge of harm reduction approach to client care
· Demonstrated ability to apply decision making and analytical skills
· Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
· Demonstrated ability to effectively deal with conflict situations
· Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and prioritize work
· Demonstrated physical ability to perform the duties of the position
· Knowledge and experience with basic computer programs (Word, Microsoft Outlook)
· Criminal Record Clearance – vulnerable sector
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $35.53 per hour
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Duncan, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-02-16